Monday, June 7, 2010

The Best?


  I found this while searching for something completely different on the internet, yet it caught my eye. Why? Well, read it again and think about it. Then note from whom the quote comes. At first glance, I thought this was simply a funny, albeit egocentric, phrase written in an elaborate font, but after staring at the pretty swirls for a bit, and noticing the Oscar Wilde in the corner, two thoughts hit me like a ton of bricks. First, Oscar Wilde certainly did not have the best and was never satisfied. Second, I realized he was right! He had the simplest of tastes - the Best.
  Now, for all of you who are unsure of who Oscar Wilde is, he wrote The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Earnest, and The Ballad of Reading Gaol. He was also imprisoned for two years due to 'gross indecency'. On the surface, he had it all, fame, a family, he loved what he did, but everything fell short. His end was anything but glorious after having lived forty-six short years full of seeking the satisfaction of his 'simple tastes'.
  We could end up the same way. We have the same tastes. Sin entices us, and it is our nature to relent. Unfortunately, the allurements come, not only from sin, but also from things deemed 'good'. Spending time with friends is good, organizing an event is good, doing school is good, yet anything taken out of its proper sphere is bad. My mother says that the good is the enemy of the best. Yet, we are satisfied with something else, just as Oscar Wilde would have been, something simple in its unique and total ability to quench our souls. You have probably guessed where I am going with this. God alone can satisfy our hearts for He created us to delight in and worship Him. He is the true God worthy of praise, awe, and wonder. If we try to replace Him with anything else, the something else will fall short, and our end will be that of Oscar Wilde's. 
  And God spoke all these words, saying, "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. You shall have no other gods before me." - Exodus 20:1-3
  For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God. - Psalm 86:10
  For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him. - Psalm 62:5
I think God is making a point. It would do us well to remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The lady who here journals strives to keep this domain one pleasing to her Father. She appreciates her readers to remember this as they post. Otherwise, I LOVE COMMENTS!